58th Annual Juried Competition on view Feb 25 – May 8, 2021
Reception with Juror’s Talk and Prize Announcements: TBD
Please read Terms and Conditions before submitting! Submission of entry form signifies the artist’s understanding and acceptance of all terms and conditions provided below:
5:00 pm CST, Thursday, Dec 3, 2020: Online submission deadline
Jan 15, 2021: Artist notifications sent
Feb 8-17, 2021: Artwork delivery period
February 25 – May 8, 2021: Exhibition on view (Reception TBD)
May 13-26: Artwork pickup and return shipping period
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Artist Statements
Statement documents MUST NOT include your name as the judging process is done blind. Statements must be 250 words or less. Please do not include a biography or CV with your statement. The Masur reserves the right to exclude any artist statement if it does not comply with our standards of display. Artists will have the opportunity to supply a biographical statement if selected for the exhibition.
Terms and Conditions
- Entry is open to United States residents at least 18 years of age.
- All work must be completed after December 1, 2018 and must not have been previously displayed at the Masur Museum of Art.
- All work must be original works by the submitting Artist.
- Artists may submit artwork online through 5:00 pm CST on Thursday, December 3, 2020. Technical difficulties should be reported immediately to email@example.com.
- All submitting artists retain copyright to their images. Artists whose submissions are chosen for the exhibition grant the Masur Museum of Art the right to use their images for the purpose of promoting the artist, museum, and exhibitions and for subsequent display on the Museum’s website for current, past, and/or future Annual Juried Competition exhibitions. Artist’s recognition is provided with any use. Images may be placed on social media by the Masur Museum of Art with artist credit. Artist agrees artwork may also be photographed by the Masur Museum for publicity, promotion, and/or education. Artist agrees to allow the public to photograph exhibited artwork.
- By submitting artworks in this competition, Artist agrees that these works are available for the posted exhibition dates. Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work, alter a work, or withdraw or remove a work after it has been accepted.
- All work must be ready for presentation with the appropriate framing, unless hanging by grommets, magnets, or pins is integral to the work. Works on gallery-wrapped canvas must have sides painted with no staples showing.
- Work not meeting the Masur Museum of Art’s display standards will not be shown.
- Two-dimensional work may not exceed 85” in height and 60” in width.
- Three-dimensional work must not exceed 60” in any direction and must weigh less than 75 pounds. To request an exception, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before entering. Artwork exceeding size/weight rules not pre-approved by Curator will not be considered for acceptance.
- Installation art will not be accepted unless first discussed with a curator. Please email email@example.com with details about your artwork.
- Upon acceptance, artists will provide the Museum with artwork insurance value, title display information, and an artist’s statement (not to exceed 250 words).
- The Masur Museum of Art reserves the right to reject works from the exhibition for any reason, including but not limited to: artwork significantly differs from entry image, is extremely fragile or unstable, or presents a danger to staff or surrounding artworks.
Online Entry Process
- Artists may submit a minimum of two (2) and maximum of five (5) works of art at $10/artwork.
- Video entries are limited to two (2) videos per artist. Videos must be under 5 minutes and should be compressed before attempting upload.
- Payment of entry fees and submission of images for judging signifies the artist’s understanding and acceptance of all terms and conditions of the call for entry as provided here.
- All artwork images are viewed anonymously by the Juror. Accepted artists’ names and contact information is kept confidential by the Museum until selections are made by Juror.
- Artists must not include their name or identifying information on any uploaded files, including artist statement. Files which fail to comply will not be reviewed by the juror. Exception: initials, monograms, and script signatures on the surface of the artwork are permissible.
- Artists are not registered for the jury process until fees are paid. Entry fees are non-refundable except in emergency cancellation of the Exhibition.
- Artist is responsible for all shipping and transit costs, including insurance, to and from the Museum.
- Artist agrees to include a prepaid return label, appropriate stamps, or a FedEx account number with original artwork shipment.
- Shipping packaging and artwork must be clearly marked to identify the artist, and all packing materials must be re-usable. Any specific installation instructions or unusual hardware must be included in the original packaging.
- Every reasonable precaution will be taken with the handling of artwork. Condition reports will be completed at time of unpacking, and again at re-packing by qualified members of staff.
- All artwork to be shown at the Masur Museum will be insured against damage and theft while in the possession of the Museum. The Masur Museum of Art cannot be held responsible for damages to artwork during shipping. Artwork damaged while in possession of the Museum will be evaluated and artist will be contacted immediately with an incident report and photographs.
- Artwork may be listed for sale at Artist’s discretion, provided it will remain in the Masur Museum until close of show. The Masur Museum does not take a commission on sales.
What does my entry fee pay for?
Your entry fee funds several of the key enticing areas of this competition: cash awards, hiring a juror, paying the juror’s travel, and marketing and installing the exhibition. We cannot currently offer fee waivers or scholarships for artists to enter, but we hope someday to be able to offer such support.
What media do you accept?
We accept visual artwork in any medium, provided it does not pose a health or safety risk to staff, visitors, or neighboring artworks. Installation art will be considered on a case-by-case basis and MUST be pre-approved by the curator before submitting to the competition. Email the curator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Performance art and Virtual Reality experiences cannot be accommodated at this time.
What are the awards?
Awards will total $3,200. Best in Show receives $1,000, and other awards (Second, Third, Honorable Mentions) are determined by Juror. People’s Choice receives $200 and is determined based on paper ballots submitted by visitors over the course of the exhibition. Best Packed receives $100 and is selected by staff based on most professional and safe packaging.
What file types are okay to submit?
Video Entries: Videos may be submitted in .mp4 formats no larger than 60 MB on a per file basis. Video work is not to exceed 5 minutes. Please compress your video before uploading.
All Other Entries: Images may be submitted in .jpeg, .png, or .gif format, with no image exceeding 1000px on the longest edge. These are thumbnails for the juror’s review, only – we will contact you for hi-res images if accepted to the exhibition.
What if my image has a visible signature?
If a signature on an artwork is prominent and/or very easily legible, please lightly edit your artwork photograph to obscure your name. Signatures are fine to remain if they are not easy to read.
What if something happens to my artwork while it’s on display?
The Masur Museum of Art will insure exhibited artwork while it is in the possession of the museum. The artist is responsible for insuring artwork while in-transit. If you do not provide an insurance value for your artwork, it will be insured for $100. Any damage will be recorded and reported to the artist immediately.
I’ve never shipped my artwork before. Any tips?
We put together some tips and tricks for packing your work here. We recommend searching the web for videos on building boxes, recommended packing materials, or packing tips specific to medium. Wooden crates are not necessary, but highly recommended for large or heavy objects. Framing your work under plexiglass is perfectly acceptable and much better for shipping (both in weight AND in fragility!) Please pack with RESUABLE materials and avoid packing peanuts! They’re bad for the environment and a headache for our staff to deal with. Treat our installation team nicely with a well-packed artwork and you may win $100!
When do I get my artwork back?
As long as you provide a return shipping label or FedEx account number with your original shipment, we will have your work shipped by May 15, 2020. If you are delivering and picking up your work in person, you can pick up your work M-F, 8-5 from May 13-27, with weekend or evening pickup by appointment only. Please contact us at 318-329-2237 if there are any changes to your return shipping arrangements.
About the Masur Museum of Art
The Masur Museum of Art is the largest collecting and exhibiting institution of modern and contemporary art in Northeast Louisiana. We are dedicated to bringing our community dynamic public programming that emphasizes artists from Louisiana, the Southeast, and around the world.