The submission period is now closed! Thank you to all who entered!
Masur Museum of Art
56th Annual Juried Competition
On View Feb 28 – May 11, 2019
Reception with Juror’s Talk and Prize Announcements: Thursday, April 25th, 5:30-7:30pm
The Masur Museum of Art’s Annual Juried Competition showcases contemporary artists throughout the United States of America working in any medium.
Go to www.masurmuseum.org for more information about the Masur Museum of Art and to www.masurjuried.org to apply online.
Please read rules before submitting!!
Enter if you would like your work seen by:
Director of Curatorial Affairs, Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Artist Statements
- Statement documents MUST NOT include your name as the judging process is done blind. Statements are to be limited to 250 words or less. Please do not include a biography or CV with your statement.
- If your work is selected, your artist statement (edited to include your name) will be included on the wall label in the exhibition. Edits for clarity and grammar will be made if needed. The Masur reserves the right to exclude any artist statement if it does not comply with our standards of display. By including your artist statement, you agree to have it included as a wall text in the exhibition and in our Facebook photo album for the show.
- 11:59 pm, Thursday, Dec 27, 2018: Online submission deadline
- By noon, Friday, February 1, 2019: Artist notifications sent via email
- February 4-14: Delivery period for accepted artwork (delivery on 2/9 and 2/10 by appointment only)
- February 28 – May 11, 2019: Exhibition on view
- Reception: Thursday April 25th, 5:30-7:30pm
- May 15, 2019: First day of hand pick up period
- May 20, 2019: First day of delivery service pick up
- May 30, 2019: All work picked up or in route to artists
- All submitting artists must be over 18 years old and reside in the United States.
- To be considered for entry all work must be completed after December 31, 2016.
- No previously entered material will be considered.
- Please do not upload files that clearly show your name or any other identifying information. This includes your artist statement – this should be written in the third person without your name! Submit only 1 composition image and up to 2 detail images per work.
- By submitting your electronic entry form, you are agreeing to the terms detailed on this page, regardless of your potential accepted or declined status in our exhibition.
Method of Entry
Entries are due via the online submission form by 11:59 p.m. Thursday, December 27, 2018.
- There is a $10.00 fee per entered artwork with a minimum of two entries and a maximum of five entries (i.e. $20.00 for two artworks and $50.00 for five artworks). Fees are non-refundable. You will be directed to PayPal to submit your payment after submitting your entry form.
- Payment will only be accepted with your initial submission. No IOUs or alternate arrangements will be made. NOTE: If your connection is interrupted between submitting your entry form and submitting your payment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a Paypal invoice. Your submission will not be considered until your payment posts.
- Best in Show is $1,000.00 and total awards are $3,200.00. Other awards will include Second and Third Prize, as well as Honorable Mentions. Awards will be announced by Futter at the reception (date and time TBD).
- People’s Choice: The People’s Choice Award is $200.00 and will be voted on by visitors throughout the exhibition.
- Best Packed: This award will honor the artist who packs their art in the most professional manner. The award is $100.00. This prize will be decided by the Masur Museum exhibitions staff.
For the juror’s ease, your submissions should be in the following formats:
- Video Entries: Videos may be submitted in .mp4 formats no larger than 60 MB on a per file basis. Video work is not to exceed 5 minutes.
- Video works can be uploaded to masurjuried.org with your entry materials. They must be submitted for consideration in their entirety and have a maximum duration of 5 minutes. Please compress your video before uploading. We must limit entries with video to two entries.
- All Other Entries: Images may be submitted in .jpeg, .png, or .gif format, with no single image file over 5 MB.
Artwork size restrictions
- Two-dimensional work cannot exceed 85” in height and 60” in width.
- All three-dimensional work must be submitted with a description or image of proper installation as well as dimensions including height, width, and depth to the nearest inch. They must be no more than 84” tall with no more than 40″ x 40″. The maximum accepted weight for three-dimensional work is 200 pounds. Please call 318-329-2237 or email email@example.com with questions. We can be flexible.
- **If your work exceeds the above-mentioned specifications, an exception may be made as long as you successfully communicate this issue in advance of your entry. Please address your concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The exhibition will open on Feb 28 2019, and continue through May 11, 2019. All accepted work must be available to remain in the Masur Museum of Art for the entirety of the exhibition. Please do not submit works which may have scheduling conflicts with other exhibitions!
- The Masur Museum of Art maintains the right to reject any work that differs from the corresponding entry form or that fails to maintain the Masur’s exhibition standards.
- The Masur Museum of Art reserves the right to remove any artwork at any time during the exhibition.
- You will be notified of your accepted or declined status via email. Please do not contact us.
Image use and reproductions
The Masur Museum of Art reserves the right to reproduce images of accepted work in support of its programming in perpetuity.
- Your work will be insured for the purchase price. If work is Not For Sale, you must include value of work for insurance purposes. It will be fully insured by the Twin City Art Foundation upon arrival at the Masur Museum of Art until it is shipped back to you. You are responsible for insuring your work while it is in-transit. Work without a stated value will be insured for $100.00. No work will be insured past May 31, 2019 (see below for pickup/return information).
- Artists are financially responsible for all costs associated with shipping. Shipping insurance for full loss is recommended. Use packing materials that can be easily re-used (remember, Best Packed wins $100.00). The Masur Museum of Art is not responsible for any in-transit damage. Please also prepay return shipping and include the prepaid return label, or your FedEx or UPS account number with your return address, in the box with delivery of the art. If return postage or packing material is not included, and you are unable to receive your work in person by May 31, you will be assessed a $10.00/day storage fee. After May 31, the balance of your storage costs are due and the Masur Museum of Art is not responsible for the insurance or safe return of your work. Your work will be dispensed with as is seen fit.
- All work must be ready to install upon delivery (cleats, d-rings, custom hardware, etc.). If a painting is not framed, it must be gallery wrapped (its sides must be painted). Works on paper designed to hang via magnets, grommets, or pins are also acceptable.
- If you wish to sell your work, please forward your business card, CV/resume, price list, and or artist statement with your artwork. These will be made available at the front desk for patron review. Otherwise we will forward interested parties’ contact information to the artist in question.
- Any work sold during the course of the exhibition MUST remain in the Masur Museum for the entirety of the exhibition! Please make sure your buyer agrees to this – or put off the sale until the exhibition has closed. Sold works will be released to the buyer at the end of the exhibition (if local) or shipped at the artist’s cost.
- If the sale price is left blank on the entry form, it will be marked as Not For Sale.
- The Masur Museum of Art does not receive a commission on sales.
About the Masur Museum of Art
The Masur Museum of Art is the largest collecting and exhibiting institution of modern and contemporary art in Northeast Louisiana. We are dedicated to bringing our community dynamic public programming that emphasizes artists from Louisiana, the Southeast, and around the world.